What Is BeFriender Ministry?
BeFriender Ministry is a lay pastoral care program. Specially trained laypersons enter into caring relationships with others at times of special need by visiting with them and bringing emotional and spiritual support.
Who is it for?
- Welcoming a new child through birth or adoption
- Going through marital separation or divorce
- Coping with a disability
- Being seriously ill, hospitalized, or home bound
- Feeling lonely or depressed
- Providing home care for a loved one
- Grieving the loss of a spouse, parent, child, or other loved one
- Empty nest or retirement
- A job loss, career transition, or relocation
A BeFriender Minster is…
…someone who really listens, without
giving advice, and who allows others to make their own decisions.
A BeFriender Minster is not…
…a problem solver, a counselor, or a therapist.
What about confidentiality?
BeFrienders maintain a strict policy of confidentiality. They respect the privacy of all who are befriended.
The Role of the BeFriender…
…is to be a companion on the journey through listening, presence, and compassion. BeFriender ministers bring with them the caring presence of God and the community.
BeFriender Minister Training
A BeFriender candidate receives between 20-30 hours of training before becoming a Befriender. The training addresses issues such as grief and loss, spirituality, listening, and confidentiality.
BeFrienders also participate in on going regular small group meetings with the GeFriend3er leadership team.
Click BeFrienders Ministry for more information.